Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Death As We Don't Know It

                The definition of the word death according to dictionary.com is the end of a life; the total and permanent cessation of all the vital functions of an organism. It is a pretty intense term. Some people are afraid to die; others welcome it…

When I die, I don’t care how I go; I just want to feel the warmth of a calm, light-driven abyss wrap itself around me. Death will be my liberation from a world of grief and hopelessness, pain and cruelty. I’ll welcome it with open arms and embrace the temporary darkness that will wash over me like the crashing waves on an empty beach. I will not be afraid, for I know that my riches await me when I take my last terrestrial breath. If anything, I will pity those who are left behind to disperse my ashes; for my deceased bones will see more freedom than flesh of the living.

When I die, I pray to be remembered. They’ll remember me as a hopeful romantic.

They’ll say that I was a lover, a fighter, and a friend because, well, that’s exactly what I am. Hopefully, they’ll remember me for other things too like how I loved my family and my fellow man, and how I loved to show compassion and empathy to those who needed it most.
If those are the things people do not reminisce about when they think of me, then I have failed.

When I die, I will hear a tender voice caressing my ears as if a lover were whispering sweet nothings to me. I hear it say to me
awaken, dreamer, you are home. My eyes will open for the first time. I will see things I have never seen before. Maybe I’ll even see things I have seen previously, only in a different light. Whatever my eyes see, I will gaze upon it in prodigious curiosity and wonder, just like I always have. When my soul moves onto its next journey, it will gratefully travel onward with hope, for the soul that inhabits me now is one of good intentions and undying faith.

When I die, I will be whisked away on a star. Certainly, it will carry me to a place that even the most genius of human minds could not conceive. In this implausible dwelling, I’ll fall in love with the physical embodiment of pure faith and love and live like a maiden in a fairytale; only my soul will live happily with no ending. I will forgive the world I left behind for being so unkind to me, but I’ll never forget it when I leave. Maybe I’ll become a guardian to the souls of my loved ones trapped in their earthly flesh when my time comes to depart from my own. I’ll pray for them and see them through life as best I can.
When I die, I will leave this earth knowing that I did my best to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment