Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Vulture on My Shoulder

I am the type of person that believes that everything happens for a reason, and that everyone goes through hard times in their lives- I know that I’ve had my fair share of difficulties just like anyone else. Although I don’t like complaining about my personal bad encounters, I would like to share an experience I’ve had with one of the most difficult times in my life; not to complain, but to inform and to inspire. I’d like to show someone that there is always hope in the darkest of times.
Picture yourself, the first day as a senior in high school, 17 years old. You’re on top of the world- you’re making plans for a bright future. You want to move into a college dorm or get an apartment with some friends after graduation. You’ve already applied for scholarships and sent in college applications to your favorite schools. You feel like there is nothing to worry about other than getting that diploma and beginning your journey through a long and happy life finding who you truly are. Then, picture yourself halfway through your senior year… you have been informed that you have a serious health problem; for me specifically, it was thyroid disease. For those of you who do not know anything about the Thyroid, it is a gland on the lower part of your throat that has a similar shape to a butterfly. It is directly linked to metabolism and releases thyroid hormone into the body. It aids your body in the production of energy, regulates your body temperature, and helps other organs in your body to function as well. The symptoms I felt which led my gynecologist to believe I had thyroid issues were constant fatigue and tiredness, extreme mood swings, trouble losing weight, lack of motivation and interest in life, forgetfulness, and depression.
When I went to the doctor I discovered that not only did I have hypothyroidism (thyroid does not produce enough thyroid hormone), but I was also told that I had a nodule on the left side of my thyroid gland. They encouraged me to have a partial thyroidectomy (surgery which they remove part of your thyroid). My parents and I agreed. Unfortunately, once the surgery was done, they still saw things wrong with me. A biopsy showed that the half they had taken and the other half of my thyroid were showing positive for a tumor. I had already been out of school for almost a week after my first surgery and then there was a possibility I’d miss another few weeks. New Year’s Eve of 2008, my doctor commenced to operate and removed the other half of my thyroid gland. Once my surgery was over, I had to wait at least a month before I could be sent to a hospital to be given my radiation treatment, which caused me to be in isolation for 3 days- I could not be within 10 feet of anyone because it would have harmful effects on anyone that came close to me for extended periods of time. Once I was out of isolation, and they saw that there were no signs of any thyroid tissue left, I was able to begin taking my replacement thyroid meds. So, what happens when you do not have that particular gland in your body? Well, after my surgery I gained over 10 lbs. in just water weight. I was constantly tired, and I began cramping all over my body because of the lack of calcium being circulated through my muscles. I had emotional breakdowns and difficulty motivating myself to do anything. I was a serious wreck.
The most hurtful part about all of this was that I felt completely alone… when my doctor told me that I had cancer, I was emotionless. My mom and my dad took it the hardest, and my mama blamed herself. Thyroid disease is hereditary in some cases, or it could’ve been caused by environmental sources, but the cancer was not. Everyone close to me was devastated… it was almost like I had a “marked for death” sign on my forehead. I had already lost quite a few of my friends because I had been at home for 2 months after my surgery and not in school eating lunch with my pals and goofing off with my classmates in between sessions. My life changed, and it felt horrible- but I coped and tried to stay positive. Anyway, it was after all of this that I came to realize how valuable and fragile life is! We think we’re invincible in our youth, that nothing could touch us. I thanked God constantly from the moment I found out about my condition and up to today that He allowed me to live another day. I thanked Him for watching over me and my family. They caught my cancer early. There is no telling what would’ve happened if they had found the tumor years later… They told me that it most likely would have spread, even though it is rare for thyroid cancer to spread to other organs. But it was nonetheless a scary time in my life. I became a happier, more understanding and caring person in the aftermath. You never know when compassion may be a step in someone’s healing process.
If anyone out there is struggling, if there is something weighing you down and making you feel weary and alone… it’s ok to be afraid. You just need to know that there will always be hope. In the words of Ronald Reagan, "I know in my heart that man is good; that which is right will always eventually triumph; and there's purpose and worth to each and every life." Your life is worth something. Your dreams and ambitions are worth something. If you’re just getting by, day by day, remember that your life is precious. It makes the worst of days seem not-so-bad. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment